By Stephen L. Harp
A international heritage of Rubber is helping readers comprehend and achieve new insights into the social and cultural contexts of world construction and intake, from the 19th century to this present day, in the course of the attention-grabbing tale of 1 commodity.
- Divides the assurance into subject matters of race, migration, and exertions; gender on plantations and in factories; call for and daily intake; global Wars and nationalism; and resistance and independence
- Highlights the interrelatedness of our international lengthy prior to the age of globalization and the worldwide social inequalities that persist today
- Discusses key ideas of the 19th and 20th centuries, together with imperialism, industrialization, racism, and inequality, during the lens of rubber
- Provides an attractive and obtainable narrative for all degrees that's jam-packed with archival learn, illustrations, and maps
Read or Download A World History of Rubber: Empire, Industry, and the Everyday PDF
Similar world history books
In Biography and the Black Atlantic, major historians within the box of Atlantic experiences research the biographies and autobiographies of eighteenth- and nineteenth-century African-descended humans and contemplate the possibilities and boundaries those existence tales current to reviews of slavery and the African diaspora.
The Nineteen Sixties represented a progressive second worldwide. In rural Mexico, a number of guerrilla teams equipped to struggle opposed to the ruling Institutional innovative get together (PRI). Specters of Revolution chronicles peasant guerrilla companies led through schoolteachers, the nationwide progressive Civil organization (ACNR) and the celebration of the bad (PDLP), which waged progressive armed struggles to overthrow the PRI.
Turbines ruled existence in Carrboro throughout the first half the twentieth century. Closure of the final mill within the early Nineteen Sixties spawned a cultural renaissance, motivated by means of the coming in 1978 of French artist Jacques Menarche, whose ArtSchool turned latest ArtsCenter. the hole of the Farmers marketplace and the Weaver road industry has contributed greatly to the power of Carrboro.
The function of the Royal Engineers within the Peninsular warfare has lengthy been missed and infrequently misunderstood, and Mark Thompson's background is the 1st complete account in their paintings and of the contribution they made through the clash. He attracts on his unrivalled selection of the engineers' letters and diaries as a way to inform, in shiny aspect, the tale of the struggle as they skilled it.
- The Voyage of George Vancouver, 1791–1795: Volume 4 (Hakluyt Society, Second Series)
- Polarshift - Genghis Khan, China and the Rise and Fall of the West
- War Despatches: Indo–Pak Conflict 1965
- Marengo and Hohenlinden: Napoleon's Rise to Power
Extra info for A World History of Rubber: Empire, Industry, and the Everyday
A World History of Rubber: Empire, Industry, and the Everyday by Stephen L. Harp